SOMA Foundation Chapter Grant Program
The Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) Foundation has created the SOMA Foundation Grant Program to promote osteopathic medicine on a local level. SOMA Foundation is able to financially support individual SOMA chapter projects that promote the mission of SOMA and the AOA while furthering an understanding of osteopathic medicine in our communities through the generous support of Foundation donors. Awards are limited to $500 per school to allow each SOMA chapter the opportunity to take advantage of this program. However, there is only a maximum budget of $3,000 per year and awards are given on a first come, first served basis.
Deadline: Rolling Applications
**Please read the Information Guide for full eligibility criteria**
Steps to Grant Approval
- Brainstorm ideas. Remember, the idea here is to focus on projects relating to osteopathic principals and practices. The projects can benefit your school, classmates, or surrounding communities. Try to get creative about how you can truly make an impact in the environment around you.
- Research the plan. This includes investigating the logistics and writing down EXACT COSTS for anything you plan to buy. The Foundation wants to know the specifics before they approve your grant. Remember, you can apply for a grant up to $1,000 per academic year per SOMA chapter. This can either be in the form of one $1,000 grant or two $500 grants.
- Fill out an Initial Grant Request (IGR) form and e-mail it to the Director of Scholarships and Grants (email@example.com). This is what he or she will use to organize your formal grant proposal. Be as detailed as possible. The more information you include, the greater the likelihood of your grant being reviewed favorably. The IGR must be submitted by a member of SOMA Chapter Board (most likely the SOMA Chapter President or Treasurer.)
- Wait for your grant to be reviewed. This is typically the most frustrating part as it can sometimes take a month before the proposal is formally reviewed. Be patient.
- Once your grant has been approved, you will be notified via email. You will not receive funds until after you have submitted the Reimbursement Form, including receipts, and your expenditures have been verified. Once the form has been submitted, you should receive your check within 10-14 days.
- Enjoy your program. Once your program is complete, complete the Project Summary Form. Please email the form and pictures of your event to the Director of Scholarships and Grants (firstname.lastname@example.org). This will help to ensure the future of the SOMA Foundation grant program while displaying your hard work.